- To produce and promote unique and influential museum-quality exhibitions, and to circulate these exhibitions around the world.
- To produce exhibitions which cover the full range of photography’s rich history, drawing on its many movements and schools, its classical and avant garde tendencies, and its national and international aspects, through a varied program of solo, group and thematic exhibitions featuring both masters of photography and talented newcomers.
- To offer museums and other cultural institutions varied choices of exhibitions, from small-scale projects aimed at specialist publics to major exhibitions with mass appeal.
- To provide educational programs that will increase public awareness of the profound influence photography has on our lives, and help people to better control this influence.
- To produce catalogues and books to complement or extend our exhibition and educational programs.
- To bridge the gap between centers of photographic expertise on the five continents and encourage exchanges of information and expertise on many levels.